Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Just Because Ur Hair is Natural DOESN'T mean It's Healthy n Relaxed Hair DOESN'T = Damaged Hair...

Ok ....So I have 3 sisters who are now fully natural...One has been natural for about 3 years if not more and two decided to go natural this year. Every time I see the two who recently decided to go natural they always ask me why I have NOT gone natural? They go on and on about how that's the best thing I could do for my hair and how I'm destroying my hair by continuing to relax it. Now I understand and respect their choice to go natural. I saw all the struggles one of them in particular went through when she was relaxed...She always suffered from chemical burns no matter what she did and now her hair is nice n healthy n thick and just beautiful. Natural fits her face so well she just literally radiates wherever she goes. I'm so happy for her and for my other two sisters too. BUT they don't seem to be happy for me or respect the fact that I'VE CHOSEN to continue relaxing/texlaxing my hair. I happen to like my hair just the way it is and now that I've finally learned how to take care of it, why should I go natural? It's just not something I would think of doing at this point in my life. My sister's seems to think that in order for ur hair to be truly healthy it HAS to be in it's natural state and I STRONGLY disagree. There are so many women out there with long beautiful healthy relaxed hair...So health is not synonymous with natural. I've seen women who were natural and did not have healthy hair. It all depends on how u take care of your hair. If you don't know what the hell you're doing it doesn't matter if you're natural or relaxed, you're not going to have healthy hair because u don't know HOW to get healthy hair. And my sis are not the only naturals who seems to be on this "you have to be natural for you to have really healthy hair" kick. I've seen other naturals all over the internet on different hair forums who seems to have this attitude that if you relax your hair then you're not doing the best thing for your hair. I say do whatever works for you. If going natural is for you then all the power in the world and best of luck with your decision. But shouldn't I expect the same attitude from naturals even though I'm relaxed? Respecting and supporting each other works both ways after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment